Module 2 Blog: Exploring Forestry and LiDAR in ArcGIS Pro
This week's Forestry and LiDAR lab gave me a much better understanding of how LiDAR data can be transformed into meaningful information about a forest. Before this exercise, I understood that LiDAR produced millions of elevation points, but I had not fully appreciated how those points could be processed into different datasets that each answer a unique question about the landscape.
One of the most interesting parts of the lab was comparing the Digital Elevation Model (DEM) and the Digital Surface Model (DSM). Although they are created from the same LiDAR dataset, they represent two very different views of the landscape. The DEM shows the bare-earth terrain after vegetation has been removed, while the DSM represents the highest surfaces, including trees and other objects. Creating the Height raster by subtracting the DEM from the DSM made it much easier to visualize vegetation height across the entire study area.
Another valuable aspect of the lab was calculating canopy density. The workflow required separating ground and vegetation returns, converting them to raster datasets, and using several raster analysis tools to calculate the proportion of vegetation within each cell. This process demonstrated how relatively simple geoprocessing tools can be combined to produce a useful management product. The canopy density map clearly identified dense forest stands, roads, and open areas, illustrating how LiDAR can support forestry applications such as habitat assessment, forest inventory, and monitoring disturbance.
One challenge I encountered was learning how to present the results effectively. Choosing appropriate symbology required some experimentation because the default display settings did not always highlight the differences I wanted to emphasize. Adjusting color ramps, transparency, and stretch settings significantly improved the readability of the Height, DEM, and canopy density maps. This reinforced the importance of cartographic design, since even accurate analyses can be difficult to interpret if they are not displayed effectively.
Overall, this lab strengthened both my technical and analytical GIS skills. I gained experience working with LiDAR datasets, raster processing, and 3D visualization while also learning how to communicate results through professional map layouts. I can see how these techniques would be valuable in forestry, environmental management, emergency management, and natural resource planning, where understanding terrain and vegetation patterns is essential for informed decision-making.

No comments:
Post a Comment