Wednesday, March 4, 2026

About Me: Mapping My Path in GIS

 

About Me: Mapping My Path in GIS

Welcome to my GIS course blog! My name is Amy, and I am currently pursuing a master’s degree in Geographic Information Systems (GIS). My professional goal is to use GIS to support disaster response, mitigation planning, and emergency management. Living in Florida has shaped that interest because our communities regularly experience hurricanes, flooding, and other coastal hazards. GIS provides powerful tools for understanding these risks and helping communities prepare for and recover from disasters.

Before beginning my graduate studies, I earned my undergraduate degree in Public Safety and Homeland Security from the University of South Florida. That background sparked my interest in how technology and data can support emergency planning and public safety. As I continued exploring that interest, GIS stood out as a field where mapping, spatial analysis, and environmental data can directly support decision-making during emergencies and disasters.

I am currently studying GIS at the University of West Florida. One of the things that excites me most about GIS is the ability to combine geographic data with real-world applications—from environmental monitoring to disaster mitigation and response. Through this program, I hope to strengthen my skills in spatial analysis, mapping, and GIS technology so that I can contribute to projects that improve preparedness and resilience in vulnerable communities.

Outside of school, I spend a lot of time exploring Florida’s unique environments. During the summers I help track sea turtle nests at Bahia Honda State Park in the Florida Keys, contributing to conservation efforts that protect these important coastal ecosystems. I also enjoy scuba diving and often dive off Jupiter, Florida, where the strong Gulf Stream currents create incredible marine biodiversity. In addition, I participate in Tampa’s Gasparilla pirate festival with a pirate crew, which celebrates the maritime history and culture of the Tampa Bay area.

For one of my course assignments, I created a StoryMap that highlights several locations across Florida that have influenced my academic path and career goals. These locations include Pensacola, Tampa, Jupiter, and Bahia Honda in the Florida Keys. Together they represent places where geography, environment, and community intersect in ways that inspire my work in GIS.

You can explore my StoryMap here:
https://arcg.is/XLyyC2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Module 3 - Coastal Flooding

 Coastal flooding is one of the most destructive hazards associated with hurricanes, making accurate flood modeling an important component o...