Sunday, April 19, 2026

Population Density and Wine Consumption in Europe

 

Population Density and Wine Consumption in Europe



This assignment focused on creating a choropleth map combined with proportional symbols to visualize population density and wine consumption across Europe. The objective was to apply cartographic principles such as classification, color selection, and symbolization to effectively communicate spatial data. Using ArcGIS Pro, I created a map that displays population density using a graduated color scheme and overlays wine consumption using proportional symbols.

For the choropleth portion of the map, I used population density as the primary variable rather than raw population counts because it allows for a more accurate comparison between countries of different sizes. I applied a sequential light-to-dark blue color ramp, where lighter colors represent lower population densities and darker colors represent higher densities. This choice helps create a clear visual hierarchy and makes it easy for the map reader to interpret patterns across the continent.

For the second dataset, I used proportional symbols to represent wine consumption per capita. I selected proportional symbols instead of graduated symbols because they allow for a more precise representation of continuous data. To enhance the design and visual appeal of the map, I incorporated a custom wine bottle graphic as the symbol. This helped reinforce the theme of the map while still maintaining functionality. Creating and implementing this symbol required additional steps, including working with transparent images and converting files into a format compatible with ArcGIS Pro.

The map also includes an inset to highlight regions with dense clusters of smaller countries, improving readability and reducing clutter on the main map. This ensures that important details are not lost due to overlapping symbols or limited space.

One challenge I encountered during this lab was that some of the instructions did not match the current version of ArcGIS Pro. For example, locating features like “Label view” required additional exploration because the interface has changed. Despite this, I was able to adapt by experimenting with the software and finding updated tools that perform the same functions.

Overall, this lab strengthened my understanding of choropleth mapping, symbolization, and layout design. It also highlighted the importance of flexibility when working with evolving software tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Module 3 - Coastal Flooding

 Coastal flooding is one of the most destructive hazards associated with hurricanes, making accurate flood modeling an important component o...